Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Latest

I am sorry for the delay in updating everyone. I just wanted to wait to post until I had something uplifting and positive to write.

After a long day (Tuesday) filled with lots of waiting, the double lung transplant surgery finally got started around 11:30-ish, I think the donor lungs arrived somewhere around midnight. It lasted about 6 hours. Time could not have moved slower during those hours. We received an update around 1:30am that the new lungs were being sewed in. The next update wasn't until around 5:30 when they were finishing up.

After a long morning filled with not so great news on Julie's progress (I don't want to go into too many details, because I really have no idea what she is comfortable with me writing for the world to see), the afternoon brought much needed HOPE.

In the morning, Julie had been requiring 100% oxygen to breath with help of the ventilator. By the early afternoon, she was down to 80. By the late afternoon she was at 40! A normal person breaths at a 20, that is not far off. Once she is down to a 20, her breathing tube can be removed. This morning the Dr was saying she would need to be kept out for days. But by the afternoon she was awake. She looks great (given the circumstances) the difference from the morning and the evening is nothing short of amazing. She is writing notes, asking questions and communicating. Still, of course she needs rest, is in pain and there is still a LONG ways to go. It's all about baby steps.

Thank you God, for this wonderful gift for my amazingly strong Mother in Law, whom I love with all my heart.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Please keep them coming!

post signature


jill said...

Wonderful news, I'm so happy for her and your family. I'll be thinking of her and hoping her recovery continues to be a fast one!

Monica said...

Thanks for the update. I will continue to pray for her and all of you.
Aunt Monica

Colleen said...


Praying for your MiL and the rest of the family - what great news!

Monty said...

SO happy for good news!! She continues to be in my prayers!