Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Baby Belly On A Sugar High

Yesterday I went in for my 1 hour glucose screening for gestational diabetes. My only word of description about the whole experience is "YUCK!" For those of you who aren't familiar with, gestational diabetes has no symptoms - it's a form of diabetes that occurs only during pregnancy and disappears instantly after birth. For the test, I had to drink this glucose drink that was basically non carbonated syrupy soda, lemon lime flavor. You have to drink it all within 5 minutes. Yea, sounds easy, but for someone like me, who doesn't eat or drink quickly, (my college friends know I can't even chug a beer and I stink at taking shots) it was horrible! Shoving all that sweetness down was so difficult and I just wanted to barf!

Darby on the other hand, was energized by all the sugar and was moving around and kicking so much. Basically for the hour I had to sit in the waiting room I just watched my belly move. I am SO in love with this baby. She's not even here yet and I can't even describe to you how much love I feel for her. Included is her kicks and movements. I LOVE feeling them! However, it was pretty hard to enjoy them when I felt so sick!!

When the hour was thankfully over, they called me in for a blood draw. I am not a fan, but as long as I don't LOOK, I'm ok.

Our next appointment with Dr. Gonzalez is on the 23rd (I think) and I suppose we will find out then what the results where. Or if I failed, and I need to be tested again (which would mean a 3 hour test.. no bueno!) maybe they will call me to let me know.

At any rate, I PRAY and HOPE I am gestational diabetes free.

Other then that, this weekend there was no progress in the nursery. The next project is curtains, which Julie is helping me with. We got some pretty white soft chenille-ish fabric on Friday, they are going to be shabby chic! Once we have that under way, I'll be posting some pictures!

2 comments:

M said...

Hoping and praying you passed that nasty test! I love hearing about Darby moving and how much you love her!! Makes me smile to picture that. Can't wait to meet her!

-Monty

Mandie said...

Hope u do pass the GDM test. Its no fun for baby when u become gestationally diabetic. They have to get all these heel sticks to test their blood when they are born. Will pray u are gonna pass with flying colors! Its great and so heartwarming to hear about how much you love your Darby baby!